Planning Your Move
Planning Your Move--Advanced Prep
Plan the move as early as possible.
- If you are able to move at any time of the year, don't wait until summer, the peak moving season. Consider also that the first and last few days of the month are extra busy.
- If you plan to sell your house, get it on the market as soon as possible.
- If renting, give your landlord timely notice of your moving date.
- Keep a record of all expenses related to the move, some of which may be tax deductible.
- Fill out a Personal Household Inventory for each room. This is important for establishing the amount of declared valuation for the shipment and as a permanent inventory for insurance purposes. List, as nearly as possible, the year of purchase and original cost of each item. Attach any invoices or records of purchase to the completed inventory. Prepare a separate high-value inventory if the shipment will contain articles of "extraordinary" value.